Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Eliminate your fear

Complete Chapter 3, and basically in chapter 3 Dr. Swartz suggests the third secret to success which is to "Destroy your fear". Fear is like an enemy to our success, therefore it is very important to take out the fear from oneself. He suggested it well with a story how a navy practise to destroy fear, by jumping from a bridge to the sea. The navy is forced to jump the bridge from a height of several feets to the water. Some of them able to do that and some aren't. This reminded me of my own story when i when to the Tunas Samudera last February. During the training before we are qualified to join the tunas Samudera, we have a 3 days training at Pulau Pangkor. The second day, all the trainees including me, we have to climb an old bridge around 20over feets above sea, and we need to countdown and start jumping to the water. Most of my friends managed to do that easily although with half hearted. Everytime when it reach to my queue, i step backward and lets my friend do so. and when it time to my turn, I embraced my chest with both my hands, with left hand on my right shoulder and right hand on my left shoulder. I couldn't swim (actually this is the skill that I haven't gained. Everytime when my son teach me the lesson, I just could not hold my breath. Not even for 60 seconds. My husband used to teach me too, but i think he must have giving up, coz of my incapability in this skill.
During the jumping, I can see my friends are waiting in the water, just to save me in case I am drowning. Choong and Syikin (the trainers) are both my friends. I know both of them have the life saver certificate, and I'm very sure, they can save me. But I just couldn't jump just like that. So the instructor ask me to countdown like the others. I start counting, "3000, 2000, 1000". And I'm suppposed to jump after final counting 1000, but I couldn't have the gut to jump. why must this be so hard on me.
I started counting again, but this time with "3000, 2000, 1000" and I ended up my counting with "Tolak Tuan", meant that I want the trainer to forcely pushing me down. There you go. Very big splash in the water. Luckily I'm still alive. It not, I couldn't posting my blog here.
The issue here is, I don't think by jumping from a high level place down to the water can be a measurement to our confidence level. But what they said to those who couldn't have the gut to jump from high place down to the water, possess less confidence level". Should I agree with that.
I have my own way of measuring my confidence level. And that's is so true. Continue later...

No comments: